Purpose: The Rio Grande City Public Library strives to offer community access to new and emerging technologies such as the 3D printer.
Policy: The Rio Grande City Public Library's 3D printer is available to the public to make three dimensional objects in plastic using a design that is uploaded from a digital computer file.
- The 3D printer may be used for lawful purposes only. Patrons will not be permitted to use the printer to create objects that are:
Prohibited by local, state or federal law.
In violation of another's intellectual property rights; for example, materials that is subject to copyright, patent or trademark protection.
Unsafe, harmful, dangerous or that may pose an immediate threat to the well-being of others; for example, guns knives or other possibly lethal weapons.
Obscene of otherwise inappropriate items for the library environment.
2. Patrons must have a valid Rio Grande City Public Library card. Call 956-487-4389 to request an appointment.
3. Cost: 3D printing at the library will cost $.10 per gram includes weight of support, rafts and fillers.
4. 3D print objects must be smaller than 9"x9"x9" and objects are printed in single filament color with a PolyPrinter 229. Items printed from the 3D printer, that are not picked up within seven days will become the property of the Rio Grande City Public Library. Items must be picked up by the individual who printed them. A requesting patron who does not pick up their print forfeits all future rights to use the 3D printer.
- It is the responsibility of the requesting patron to design their own creation and prepare it for printing in .stl file format. Library staff is available for construction or assistance only.
- The design must be applicable for printing with ABS or PLA filament.
- Staff will make sure you have a clear record and updated information before printing. When your appointment is made, we will let patrons know of current colors available to choose from.
- Files submitted and pre approved for printing will be readied for printing in KISSlicer or other authorized software.
- When the review of the file has been completed printing will be scheduled within a reasonable period of time. Same day printing is not assured. The Rio Grande City Public Library reserves the right to schedule only one print per day per person or entry.
- Once a design has been approved for printing, the requesting patron must be present for the initiation of the print process(i.e. - 5 to 10 minutes, depending on the size of the print job, after the machine begins placing filament on the plate). Once the printing has begun the patron may leave and return within the designated time to retrieve their 3D print.
- Print times are estimates and cannot be guaranteed. Print jobs of over five hours will ne cancelled.
- Except in cases of mechanical failure, objects failing to fully print, errors in the print process, or other factors not in a patron's control, patrons are expected to pay for completed objects and may not demand a new print in place of the original due to dissatisfaction with color, scale, quality, design, required support material, or other options pre-selected by the customer.
- You must clean your own rafts and supports. Small bumps or holes and rough edges on the object may occur.
Disclaimer: This Policy and Procedure may change at any time. While the library staff make every effort to oversee the use of the equipment in the printing of an object the use of the printed object upon completion is not under the direction or control of the Library staff. The RGC Public Library is not responsible for any object created with use of the 3D printer, including any harm or injury incurred as a result of any usage of the 3D printer or the object which is printed.